Friday, August 07, 2009

Why why why

I used to live in Taman Tun Dr Ismail some 8 years ago. Very quite and safe place so I thought. I thought that it is a safe place and with the fence around us it would be safe to leave the grill and door open. My wife used to grumble and ask me to lock the grill when in the house. Being stubborn just refused to listen and told her off that it was inconvinent to get in and out of the house and TTDI is very safelah.

One day during the Deepavali Holiday about 7.00 pm, three Chinese men climbed over the fence and robbed us with parang. Just imagine the tremor of all those in the house had gone through. ie me, my wife. my one year old son, the maid and my two brother in laws.

The robbers pushed all in the middle room and tied us all up. Luckly preading, they did not tied up my wife as she said that she had to take care on my son.

They ransacked the whole house and even asked for the pin code of all my ATM card. Later one of the robbers went out to the bank and withdrew the cash with two other guarding.

They managed to get about RM10k. They spent about 2 hours and warned not to call the police only after half an hour.

Do you all think that TTDI is as 'safe' as 8 years ago?

I only wanted to be convinent to come in and out of the house and looks like it is also convinent for the robbers too.

I have learned the hard way and luckly nothing happened to all of us at that time.

It is better be like a trapped bird rather than the 'bird' being eaten by the 'cat'.

Do your part contribute a little for the safety of the neighbourhood.

IT IS BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.




------------------------------------------------
Like a bird trapped in a cage
I AM writing this to express my displeasure over the recent happenings at my residence of 20 years.
I am a resident of Jalan Datuk Sulaiman Phase 5C in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. My family and I moved in when the house was ready for occupation in 1989.
Since July 1, the whole row of houses in Jalan Datuk Sulaiman Phase 5C and Phase 5A have been cordoned off by security guards.
This was initiated by a few residents who were robbed of their cars and threatened at knife-point prior to this. They managed to garner the support of most residents along the road to have the service.
Not only did they put blocks at both ends of the road, they also put up gates at three passage points linking us to the next row of houses in Jalan Datuk Sulaiman 3.
By doing so, they have effectively reduced the freedom of movement along this road not only for me and my family but also for those who did not sign up for the service. Unfortunately, this constitutes a small minority (only about five houses but we are the pioneer residents along the road).
Now every time I want to enter or exit my home, I have to get the permission of these guards. The residents who signed up for the service were given car stickers (which gave them instant access) and those without the stickers are stopped and queried. This makes it very difficult for my visitors and regular vendors.
I used to enjoy walks around the whole of Jalan Datuk Sulaiman area but it seems this is not possible any longer. Do these people have the right to cut off access to the paths linking to other roads? Now, I feel like a bird living in a cage.
I would like to know if Kuala Lumpur City Hall has rules about converting residences to a gated community by a majority vote among residents. Remove the gates and replace them with CCTVs if security is an issue.
Having stayed in the same house for two decades, this recent turn of events is something hard to swallow.

LONG-TIME RESIDENT, Taman Tun Dr Ismail

No comments: